Wednesday, June 19, 2013

On Reading and update on writing.

Hi all !!

     Well you might have read that one of the books I am currently reading is Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. It's taken me forever to get through about half the book. Not that it's not good, but it's heavy. I can only read about 5 or so pages before my brain is used up (or it feels that way anyway). Let me give a little bit of background. I choose to read this because when I ready 50 shades of Gray, the characters in that book mention it. I having never read it and want to be well read, decided I was going to read it.

      In 50 shades of Gray, Ana receives 3 first editions of this book from Christian. When they are leading up to having sex for the first time, Ana chooses debasement, as if Christian is Alec and not Angel. In 50 shades Darker, Ana brings up again that Christian has gone from Alec to Angel. However, in the part of the book I am now in, I don't see that as a good thing. Up to this point you hate Alec and love Angel. Angle has now turned into a character I am not liking anymore. He may redeem himself further in the novel, but at this moment I don't even want to continue reading. How can he tell his new wife that he spent 48 hours basically whoring with a women, then turn around and tell her he doesn't love her any more for confessing what would be considered rape in today's time? Tess even points out that he was confessing to sex before marriage and she was doing the same, but for some reason her offense (if you can even call it that) is worse then his as he couldn't see it coming and can't look at her the same. Now I know back then being a virgin on your wedding night was very important. Not saying that it shouldn't be in today's time either( even though harder to do and more unlikely), however what I am saying that it is so horrible to read about the double standard still occurring. It was ok for him to confess his affair, but when Tess confesses her rape, he's got a problem. He kind of has forgiven her at the point I got to now, but I was so disgusted with his character I really didn't want to read anymore.


     Now onto my writing part of this blog :-D I made a big mess of things. First of all I spilled coffee (not intentionally, the cup was supposed to be closed !!) all over my notebook. So it's been drying out the last few days. The other is that as I was waiting for it to dry out, again the batteries dies in my pda and when I finally got that issue corrected, I found that the word program I was using was only a trial run because I didn't use the key and registration # that (duh Mel!!) was right on the back of the cd when I first installed the program. So I had to go through all that to get the word docs back into that program and then update the pda about 3 times just to get them back to where I can type again once the notebook dries out. Thank goodness I didn't go any overtime tonight. Still got to now go run around and shower and maybe make some popcorn for a snack, but at least I know my stuff will be waiting for me tomorrow !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment